Dating illinois watch
Testimony as to the perfection of the railroad grades manufactured by this company is furnished by general watch inspectors on many railroads - perhaps even a greater authority is that of the National Naval Observatory in Washington, D.
C., where in competitive examination with product of other factories, out of eleven watches accepted, ten were form the Illinois Watch Company's factory.
Lincoln" movements in 18 size, for the use of railroad men, so that to-day these movements are known wherever railroads are operated, and are the recognized standard watches for railway service. To his intelligent presentation of the matter and his enthusiasm in executing all the difficult and manifold details of the plan, is very largely due the magnificent observatory erected upon the grounds of the company, and freely open to the inspection and use of the citizens and scholars of the public schools of the city of Springfield.
The equipment for the Illinois Watch Company observatory was designed to be as far as possible of Illinois manufacture.
In the fall of 1905 new models were produced in 0 and 12 size, both of which have proved most popular and the demand for them is constantly increasing.
In the early part of 1910 a new model in 16 size, pendant setting, was produced, and found a ready market except in railroad grade, as the requirements of railway time service do not permit the use of pendant setting grades.
No author I'm afraid, but it is a fascinating read. In 1869 the attention of a number of public spirited citizens and capitalists of Springfield was called to the great advantage which would result to the city from the establishment and conduct of manufacturing industries. He came to Springfield in 1869 and pointed out the benefits to the city, and the very possible and probable profits to be secured for the stockholders, of a company organised for the manufacture of watch movements. The buildings are of brick with stone trimming, and the visitor is at once impressed with their compact and, at the same time, convenient arrangement. Miller, who took the road for that purpose and visited all the large cities.To meet this emergency, fifty thousand dollars (,000.00) of preferred stock was issued, but it was not enough to do more than to postpone the inevitable.Money was borrowed on the surplus stock of watches which at that time amounted to about one hundred thousand (0,000.00), and the business was continued by means of these expedients until 1875, when the stockholders refused to put in any more money on the ground that the preferred stock would take all the profits for several years, and reorganization became imperative, although the company had assets enough to more than pay its debts if the watches could have been sold.In thus increasing its production of high grade movements, the company soon found that more room was needed and new buildings to meet the requirements have been erected from time to time.In 1909 the two story North Wing, 103 x 21 feet, was completed for the use of the Timing and Adjustment Departments on the second floor, and the Dial Department on the first floor.